Take A Minute

Ten years ago the worst shooting took place in Littleton, Colorado. I won't go in-depth because we've all heard about it. It's been written, discussed, pondered over for ten years. I just wanted to take this time to tell everyone to take a minute to tell your loved ones you love them. You never know what will happen tomorrow. You are never guaranteed more than today, hell you're never even guaranteed the full day.

Do I remember where I was during Columbine? Vividly. I was in fifth grade, my elementary school is about ten miles from Columbine High School. I remember my sister coming to pick me up after school and the first thing she said was, "Did you hear about what happened?"

The teachers decided to not inform us of what happened, as we were ten years old. What did we know about students going into a school, going on a murderous rampage and killing their fellow classmates? What does anyone ever know about it for that matter?

Back to the conversation:

I said, "Hear about what?"
"Two guys went into Columbine High School and killed 12 students, a teacher and then themselves" My sister responded.

I was stunned to say the least. After we got home, my parents, sister and I were glued to the television all day. For several days after, trying to make sense of it. In a way, I think we all are to this day. But it's been ten years and what we can do is honor those victims, survivors and families. Take a minute to tell someone you love them or even pass on a kind message to a stranger, a simple pedestrian on your way home, or to class, or to work.

Take this pledge and commit yourself to spreading some more kindness and compassion through the world. This world could use a little more kindness and compassion. Take a minute to remember the victims of Columbine and their families.

We are all Columbine.

4 comments:

niamh said...

Excellent post.

Andrea Smith said...

Thanks for sharing that link, I make that pledge too. Still gives me chills, I can only imagine what you guys went through.

calina15 said...

wow... thank for posting this. I think sometimes its easy to forget about important events like that and sometimes we need a reminder to just spread kindness all around.

wow... seriously. Thanks for this.

-Raquel

Ella Preuss said...

Neera, what a nice post, really.
I went through the same situation as you, when I was 12, 5 or 6 years ago. I was in the 7th grade, and our teacher was called to go to speak to the headmistress. When she came back, her face had gone blank. Then she told us what had happened, a boy, in Patagones- across the river-, had taken his fether's gun to school and started shooting in his classroom. He killed three of his classmates. It was huge news back then, all over the country, and we still remember that date, and the 3 kids who were killed.
I remember not quite understanding what was going on, I still don't really. It was just awful, but it can't be forgotten.

xo, Ella

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers